After years of hating this plain piece of Ikea furniture I knew it was time to finally do something with it.
Thanks to Pinterest I got some inspiration about painting furniture and got to work!
Step 1: Remove all the doors and shelves and give them all a light sanding
Step 2: Put a coat of primer on everything...I ended up doing coats. I don't know if it was necessary but since it's my first time painting furniture I wanted to be sure I did a thorough job.
Step 3: I went to Home Depot and picked out a color and paint conditioner. I added the Floetrol according to the instructions on the bottle...this helps minimize brush marks.
Step 4: Now for the fun part...putting the pretty color on! I ended up doing two coats of this too. Once it was dry I decided to Polyurethane it..BIG mistake!!! It was so sticky it left every dust particle and fuzzy in the air stuck permanently to the stand. On top of that, there were dark drip marks in various places. So I gave it a light sand to fix it and it took the paint right off! Back to step 3. I had to repaint those areas, wait for it to dry and then try the polyurethane again. SAME THING HAPPENED! Ugh!! After a few more attempts I decided to do a little more research and found that others say only to use this on pieces that get a lot of wear like a kitchen table. So all that work for nothing! Next time I'll skip that step altogether.
In the end though I'm happy with the result. I made one final change to the furniture...I stapled fabric to the back of the doors to cover the glass. Now I can hide all the embarrassing chick flicks I want inside and nobody will ever know :)